Monday, January 28, 2013

Don't Take It Personally: The Sassy Girl's Guide To Constructive Criticism


“The class was good but I felt so singled out with corrections.”

Sound familiar? Sound like you? I am always surprised when I hear people say statements like this about a workout.  And I don’t get it. As a fitness professional I have people in my classes that don't like to be touched or corrected. I know I shouldn't take it personal, but sometimes I do. EVERYONE can stand to be corrected and here's why...

One of the greatest benefits of a group fitness class with a great instructor is getting corrected. How awesome is it when you are in a small class and you get a lot of attention? It's my favorite time!
Sometimes, one little correction alerts me to something I’ve been doing incorrectly for a very long time. The exercise you thought you were doing right can become a completely new exercise!

Frequently, even though I have been corrected in a certain exercise plenty of times before,  my body just falls back to its old habits. A great instructor will help to remind you what proper form should be. Whether it's a gentle touch on the muscles that are working or a big adjustment to help you feel were the emphasis should be. She or he will help you establish new habits that will help you not only in your workout but in your daily life.

I know corrections can make you feel "off" but that's just because your body isn't accustomed to the adjustment. It's also important to know that as much as you think you've "perfected" a move, there are ALWAYS ways to improve. Your instructor has a different angle to view your body. Trust that she or he knows what they are doing and they are just trying to prevent you from injury. You don't want to be doing something unsafe right?! They are also there to challenge you and help you improve.

I can not stress this enough... It doesn’t matter what shape you are in — every single person can stand to be corrected to be sure they are getting the most effective and safest workout possible. That is the benefit of small classes where the instructors are knowledgeable on proper form! That is one of the reasons they come with a higher price tag. You’re paying to get your best workout, but how can you get it if you aren’t doing things correctly?

I guarantee that you are NOT being singled out though.  I know it can feel frustrating when it seems like you’re doing every exercise wrong, but that is not the case. If you’re someone who gets discouraged by instructors fixing you, try and remember that it’s for your own good, and remember that even the strongest in the class are being corrected as well.

If everyone was perfect during their workout I wouldn't have a job.