This winter has been awful. I spent most nights inside of my apartment trying to keep warm. Now it’s summer...kinda….hopefully, and that means it’s time to gather with friends and family for BBQs, Brunches, and Afternoons Of Leisure. Make sure all of your relaxation doesn’t make an appearance on your body. Here are 3 fun cocktails that are yummy and won’t show up the next time you slip on your bathing suit.
1. Watermelon Mojito
- 5 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- 1 cup sparkling water, chilled
- 3/4 cup white rum
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 (6-ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate, undiluted
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Lime slices (optional)
- Arrange watermelon in a single layer on a baking sheet; freeze 2 hours or until completely frozen.
- Combine frozen watermelon, sparkling water, rum, mint, and limeade in a blender; process until smooth. Garnish with mint sprigs and lime slices, if desired. Serve immediately.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 8 large lemons), 4 squeezed lemons reserved
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- Bring 6 cups water, sugar and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat, add reserved lemons, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree chopped watermelon in a blender or food processor with 1 cup water.
- Pour syrup and watermelon puree through a strainer into a pitcher. Stir in lemon juice. (Lemonade can be made up to 1 day ahead.) Serve over ice.
3. Pretty Pimms
- 2 oranges, cut into half-moons
- 2 lemons, cut into half-moons
- 1 Persian cucumber or one 3-in.-long piece English cucumber, washed and sliced
- 2 cups Pimm's No. 1
- 4 cups Sprite or other lemon-lime soda
- 6 to 8 large sprigs mint, crushed gently, plus a few loose leaves
- Fill 2 pitchers 1/4 full with ice. To each, add a layer of orange slices, a few lemon slices, and a layer of cucumber slices. Repeat the layering. Pour in the Pimm's and Sprite, dividing between pitchers, and mix with a long-handled spoon. Poke mint sprigs and leaves down into drink. Divide drink among 8 tall glasses, with a few slices of fruit and cucumber in each glass, along with some mint leaves.
- Notes: Persian cucumbers are small, thin-skinned, virtually seedless, and very tasty. They're sold at well-stocked grocery