What do I do in the gym if I can't take a group fitness class? If you need people telling you what to do or you are lost this post is for you. Here is what you need to do.
- When was the last time you lifted weights? If it was just the previous day, then maybe you are due for a HIIT cardio session with some stretching instead of weightlifting.
- Have you been doing a lot of hard workouts lately? If so, then maybe you should do some gentle stretching. Give your body and break and it will return the favor by being more awesome for you.
- Just took a rest day? You are feeling good so maybe today is a good day to do a full-body resistance session.
- After many years as a fitness professional, I am well aware that having a plan is a necessity.
- Foam rolling for a 5-10 minutes. Get the quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes and upper back with some rolling along the muscle to get it ready.
- Dynamic movement for a few minutes. Do some walking knee hugs, hamstring kicks, arm circles, grab a circle band and put it above your ankles and do 10x squat walks one way and 10x the other way, get on the floor for some cat cow.
- Full-body work is the way to go to burn big calories. While doing split days and isolating your muscle groups is excellent for building physique, it’s really only a good option for those who plan to lift weights each day. If you’ve only got a few days a week to do resistance, then go with full body.
- My workouts almost always includes some form of squats, deadlifts, chest presses, rows and core work. I always take time to use dumbbells and a bench, and sometimes utilize the pulling machines, Roman chair or back extension contraption.
- Count your reps. Aim for three sets of 10,12 or 15 reps, depending on the weight. The heavier the weight, the less reps, of course. It’s great to vary this as well throughout the week.
- I also love to mix up my workouts each day. Weight training, cardio, pilates, barre. Each day I do something different to "shock" my body.
- I finish every workout with about 10 to 15 minutes of stretching and foam rolling again. I don't EVER "forget" the most important part. I like to show my body gratitude for what it just did for me. I know not everyone can do or wants to do what I just did. I'm grateful!
HYDRATE AND RECOVER.
- After the workout, it’s so important to refuel within 30 minutes of finishing and always a lot of water. I suggest having Cottage cheese and fruits.
The thing you should take away from this post is to have a plan when you hit the gym, so you don’t waste any time. When in doubt — Warm up. Work. Cool down. Use the foam roller and drink plenty of water.
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM