A few years ago I started posting on Facebook daily about the “Holiday” of the day. An example: Today, April 18th, is National Oatmeal Raisin Cereal Day! I started doing this because it was fun and was a way to bring joy into others lives. I hope it brings a chuckle to my “friends” as they read my post. The joyful sound of laughter is far more contagious than a cold. Laughter brings people together and increases happiness across the board.
I know I feel better after a good laugh with a friend or doing something so wacky I laugh for hours. I know other people must like it too or there would be no comedy clubs in the world. Here are some reasons why you should have a good laugh often:
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress. It can even leave your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after you’re done laughing. It will also increase your energy and help you stay focused.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter helps to take away the stress hormones and gives you more immune cells and infection fighting antibodies which all help to improve your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins. Endorphins are your body’s natural feel-good chemicals that promote an overall sense of well-being. They can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter helps protect the heart. Laughing increases blood flow which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
- Laughter helps lessen stressful emotions. You can’t feel sad, angry, or anxious when you’re too busy laughing.
- Humor shifts perspective. Who hasn’t had an experience when, at the time, it seems like the end of the world – yet days later, when you tell the story, you can’t help but laugh at what happened? A humorous perspective will help you not feel overwhelmed. Next time you feel like your world is ending, shift your perspective and see how you feel.