Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Snotty Isn't Sassy





Today’s post was inspired by the downright rude behavior that I encounter frequently. Just because you spend a lot of money to work out at my gym doesn’t mean you have the right to treat the staff and the other clients poorly.


As a fitness instructor I have taught and trained at posh fitness centers on New York's Upper East Side, and I have taught at ten dollar a month gyms in Harlem.  
It seems that the one thing that many of my clients and students share whether rich or poor is a disrespectful and entitled attitude.  
Day in and day out I hear complaints like ‘It’s too hot!”  “The fans are blowing on me.”  “I don’t like the music can you change it?”  “Leave me alone.  I DO NOT WANT TO BE TOUCHED!”
It used to drive me crazy and I used to try to try to solve each problem as it arose  I would adjust the fan, place someone in different spots in the room, change the music and bend over backward to try an appease each and every person in the room.  But after being constantly annoyed by this behavior I realized that some people just like to complain.  I as realized that by giving grease to the squeaky wheel I was taking time and focus away from the rest of the class, a silent majority who may have been OK with the temperature or the music.  
Some people seem to act like they aren't participating if they can’t gripe about something.
Now more often than not when a student is rude, pushy, whiny and disrespectful I am more likely to simply ignore them.  Losing my cool with a client is not OK.  What I try to do is to make a simple and polite  statement (off the mic of course) such as “The temperature (or volume) will stay at this setting for today, but I’m more than happy to discuss your concerns after class.”
If you too experience the act of rudeness in your daily life try telling the complainer why you are doing what you are and what the obvious reasons are. They may or may not accept them but it will help you keep your cool and you will look like the bigger person.