Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My First Trip To The GYRO



On a trip to my hubby's home town last weekend I tried a new fitness regimen that I had been hearing so much about. It’s called Gyrotonic and it is such an interesting form of exercise that time passed by very quickly. Gyrotonics allows of fuller range of motion than almost any other exercise, so I had to check it out.
I visited a gem of a fitness center called Kinesphere which is located in Lee, Massachusetts. I had a private session to introduce me to the basic gyro moves. First I did things that warmed up my spine that had fun names like the wave and the stir and spiral. Fun right? Well they felt good too! My spine was feeling awake so it was time for more.
Next I got to play with the piece of equipment that gyrotonic is famous for The Handle Unit. I pushed, pulled and stirred the handles and felt every muscle in my arms at one time plus my core was totally involved because of the forward bending and arching of the spine to perform the moves. Awesome right?
We finished class with the pulleys. Each strap is attached to an individual pulley so that means you have to use equal strength in each limb to move them at the same time. Most times machines at the gym don’t allow you to isolate body parts and the stronger muscle ends up doing a majority of the work.
My favorite part of the whole experience was at the end I left the studio feeling inches taller than the hour before when I walked in. Well, that’s good because the purpose of gyro is to create space and lengthen the body. I did enjoy the class but to be honest Gyro didn’t provide me with the same stimulation that spinning, aerobics or yoga does. I will do it again but not as the only form of exercise I do. It’s great to add in addition to other things. It’s a great way to rebuild the body so I recommend it for post physical therapy.

On a side note these two songs are recent additions to my workout playlist. They are fun jams and have a great beat to keep your body movin’ and groovin’. Put them on your ipod for an instant dose of sassy!

Brokenhearted by Karmin-Hello
Payphone by Maroon 5