Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fat Talk



"I feel fat"
"My belly is so big I look like I'm pregnant"
"My thighs are huge"

I hear these all the quotes all the time while talking with my girlfriends over lunch, at the gym watching TV or looking into the mirror.  We all say and think these negative things but in reality doing so is not helping matters. We are all guilty of reinforcing our impossibly high standards to be super thin when in fact being thin isn't all its cracked up to be.  Being overly critical of your body can lead to depression...not sassy! When we talk over and over again about what we loathe about our bodies it can lead to self hate.
Your body image and your views on how much your scale should say comes from many sources like your significant other, family, friends, even your "friends" on facebook.  But nothing more then the media and the impossibly high all be it photo-shopped standards that they set.  
We can work to fix this and make life more tolerable.  It’s not too hard.  
Try controlling and changing the negative talk. If you are chatting with your friends and fat talk starts try redirecting the convo or maybe even excuse yourself for the moment.  That move may not win you any popularity points but it sure as heck will help to improve your body image. Or trying to avoid looking at images that reinforce a skinny body being beautiful.  This is only one of the many reasons not to waste your time and money on trashy magazines.  Personally I find strong, fit bodies much more appealing than the "I'm so skinny I look like I've been starving myself for years" look. Think about how awesome your body is right now, what it can do instead of what you wish it was.

You are more than the number on the scale and in order to be sassy you have to love yourself.