Saturday, May 26, 2012

Four Habits of Highly Effective People



One of the main reasons that I began this blog is because each and every day I hear the most insane ideas about ways to lose weight and to get in shape.  Maybe I am super in tune to this but I hear it everywhere I go.  I hear about dangerous diets on the bus and the subway.  I hear about it from people sitting next to me in restaurants.  I just want to go up to these strangers and say something like "Excuse me, I couldn't help but over hear what you were saying.  As a personal trainer for ten years I have to tell you that what you are talking about is ludacris, ill informed, not affective and dangerous."  Since that is technically a faux pas I took to writing this blog.  How lucky am I that so many of you have been reading this and taking the tips. By the way thanks to all of you who have written to me with your success stories, it means a lot.  
Today I want to make sure you don't take drastic measures and make mistakes if you are looking to lose a few lbs.
So to avoid making common mistake here are the top four worst ways to lose weight.


4. I HATE to Exercise? Do I have to?
Sure just going on a diet will help the number on the scale to drop but you will lose muscle mass not just fat. If you don't use the muscle you have your body will just convert the unused muscle for fuel to sustain functions for daily activity. If you compliment diet with exercise you are letting your body know that muscle is needed and it will have to turn to stored fat for fuel.

3. Abusing Laxatives
Don't do it sassy girl. Why would you choose to take a pill that violently forces your body to rid itself? If you eat a balanced diet your body does it naturally. Plus laxatives make the food pass through your body so fast your body can't absorb all the nutrients.

2. Pill Popper
Do you really think that popping a diet pill will give you the license to eat a four cheese pizza, a pint of ice cream and you will still lose weight? No! If that worked everyone would look like a Victoria's Secret model.

1. Starving
Starving yourself will NOT make your body burn fat and you will actually gain weight. If you aren't fueling your body it will save the fat for emergencies and the body will start using muscles first. When you starve yourself you are sending your body a signal to hold on to stored fat for fuel. Try taking in a little less calories that way you can trick your body to burn fat little by little.