Sunday, August 7, 2016

You gotta start somewhere. Go ahead and start with light weights

 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-239-06A197BE6CA5E9915545882CEA3E5FBD_zpspy4sxr4u.png
I want you to know there is no shame in using 1-, 2-, 3-, or 5-pound weights. You have to start somewhere! No one is judging how much you lift. The point is to do what you can until the muscle you're using is fatigued. If you still feel like you could do more at the end of your set, you aren't working hard enough!
That brings up a good question. How much do I lift and what is the smart thing to do? Working out at 30% of your maximum strength until you are too fatigued to do one more rep is the smart, safe way to lift weights when starting out. Basically you want to use weights that are just a third of the heaviest weight you can safely manage.
Why only 30%?  I personally like to do both light and heavy weight lifting, but I know that lighter weights builds serious muscle strength and I have been lifting for a long time. I know what I can handle and what I can’t.  Have you ever tried to lift 2 lbs for 2 minutes? It's exhausting and hard. Using lighter weights helps with weight control, avoiding injury and helps prevent diseases.

Want your spare tire gone? Go a smidge lighter, but you should still feel challenged,  and notice your body changing!

Follow me on Instagram: @sassygirlfit

No comments:

Post a Comment