Saturday, August 20, 2016

"I haven't eaten all day." What happens to your body when you don't eat.


I just don't understand the phrase "I haven't eaten all day. I forgot." What? I never "forget" to eat! I love food, I love what it does for me, I love the way some of it tastes, mainly I never "forget" to eat because I know that my body needs food to function, the first 6 hours after eating, everything is pretty much status quo, and your body is busy breaking down glycogen - which stores energy - into glucose to be used as fuel by your cells. Around 25 percent of this glucose is used to power your brain alone, and the rest goes to powering muscle tissue and red blood cells.
Also, if I don't eat every 4-5 hours I get hangary  Do you know what "hangary" is: hangry is combination of being hungry and irrational angry, and it can result in you lashing out at the people you love the most. And it's all caused by your brain running out of the energy it needs to make good decisions.
But things get really dire after 72 hours, when your brain decides it needs more to survive. This is when your body starts to break down its own proteins so that it can use their amino acids to form glucose. This means your body literally cannibalises itself and eats away at your muscle tissue just to stay alive.
If you don't eat at this point, the break-down of your body will continue, and death can occur as little as three weeks after you stop eating - if you don't get sick from a lack of immune system-essential vitamins and minerals first.

Follow me on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment