Monday, August 19, 2013

Spin Cycle



I did something yesterday that I thought was positive. I took my BFF to my favorite spin studio.  I LOVE spinning classes I thought she would too! After all we both enjoy the Netflix show Orange Is The New Black. Why wouldn't she like this too? Turns out having a fav TV show in common does not mean we both would enjoy the same workout. Let me tell you why she only lasted 15 minutes. First, she hated the music. That should have been my first clue. I know her. Why didn’t I think of this? Second, there was a weird creepy dude sitting next to me that kept touching his balls. Why was he doing this? Was the seat jamming his ass so hard his penis was inverting? Why? I have no idea. Since I’m not a guy I can not relate so I will just refer to him forever as the creepy spin guy. So, after about 15 minutes of torture she announced that she would be ditching class and meet me in the lobby. She then left. I of course did not and had find motivation within myself. That got me to thinking about what kind of workout is right for each person. Here are few questions to think about: Want to start exercising but hate the gym? Short on time or motivation? Or maybe you're feeling so out of shape that you don't know where to start? All you have to do is focus on exercising in a way that suits your personality, lifestyle, and fitness level.‬

‪I HATE the Gym

‪Take a walk, ride a bike, or go for a hike. Try workouts that use your body weight. Do squats, push ups and planks.‬

‪Also consider outdoor group classes. They're taking place at parks all over the country, even during winter, and many invite children and babies to join in. If classes aren't your style, look into an adult recreational league. They're in every city and cover sports from soccer to ultimate Frisbee‬

‪It’s no joke. I’m Seriously Out of Shape‬

‪Take it slow and look for activities that will give you a more active lifestyle. Exergames like Wii Fit are a good way to take someone who's a couch potato and give them a little exercise. A sneaky way to add fun and exercise into your life is playing a game.‬

Social Butterfly

‪Group activities or classes may be your best way to get in shape. Groups allow social butterflies to be around lots of people and enjoy camaraderie while also getting fit.‬

‪Consider Spin, Barre, or a fun class at your gym. Anything that will get you moving and burning calories. If you have two left feet -- and no intention of reforming -- consider a running, walking, cycling, or hiking club. You'll share a common theme for your exercise, and you'll also enjoy the social networking that takes place outside the workouts.




‪Time Is Of The Essence

‪If getting to the gym seems impossible, just do your workouts at work.‬
Do dips on your chair. Drop down and do some push ups off the edge of your desk. Get some resistance bands and do bicep curls and triceps extensions.
If you can get to the gym, do a circuit training routine by moving from machine to machine without rest. The key is to keep moving and keep your heart rate as high as possible. If you prefer free weights, just double up on your moves, adding short bursts of cardio -- like jumping on and off a weight bench -- in between each.

Of course if you need a little guidance consider hiring a trainer.

Most personal trainers are highly educated and experienced and have nationally recognized degrees and certifications.