Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sleepy Time



Feeling like a zombie the morning after a sleepless night is pretty common. Is this you? When you finally drop off, the alarm buzzes a microsecond later. Then, you can't get up. And then, it gets worse: When you finally drag yourself out of bed, you look like a zombie!

You may ask yourself: "Why? Why God why is this happening to me? Doesn't anyone realize I lead a busy life and I need my shut eye."
The problem may be what you ate the evening before. Here are some common sleep stealers:

• Spicy foods: Garlic, chilies, cayenne, and other intense spices are yummy going down, but they can keep you up with heartburn or indigestion. Avoid MSG, too, as it can trigger dreams that are a bit too vivid. Oh Man! Garlic? I love the stuff but if I'm not supposed to eat it before bed I'll try not to. I rather get my Zzzz's.
• A big dinner: Eating light at night is a lovely gift for your digestive system. A big dinner can take hours to digest. When sleep's critical, make lunch your largest meal, and enjoy a light 500-calorie dinner early in the evening. Think salad.
• Nightcaps: It's a total myth that a drink before bed will help you sleep. Yes Alcohol may make you drowsy at first, but later on it disturbs sleep patterns and leads to awakenings and restlessness. ONE 4-ounce glass of wine with dinner won't hurt, as long as it's not within 2 hours of bedtime.
• Coffee after breakfast: Don't do this one if you really need your sleep. Caffeine can linger in your body for as long as 12 hours! So if you're often wide-eyed at bedtime, make sure you're caffeine-clean for at least 12 hours. (Skip tea, chocolate, cola, or other caffeine culprits, too.)
Aim for 6 to 8 hours of sleep a night. Your bright eyes, happy skin, and sharp mind will thank you!