Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Got 5 minutes?





I live in NYC and because it’s  such a small place with millions of people most apartments are small. This poses a problem for me as a trainer who trains people from their home. I want people to workout at home if they can’t get to a gym. No excuses! I need something simple, easy to perform in a small space, but definitely challenging. I need an exercise that combines cardiovascular endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, and speed, depending a bit on how you perform the exercise.

I have the answer! A fantastic exercise called “The Burpee!”

Here’s what you do:




  1. Stand straight, with your feet in a neutral stance.
  2. Squat down to and place your hands approximately one foot in front of your feet, slightly wider than shoulder width.
  3. With your weight on straight, vertical arms, jump back with both feet into plank position (same as the top position of the push-up).
  4. Perform a push-up with your chest touching ground in the bottom position, and up to plank position again.
  5. From plank position, jump forward with both feet, raise your upper body and land in the bottom of the squat.
  6. Jump straight up from the bottom of the squat, raise your arms and clap your hands over head. Landing back in position 1.
  7. Repeat.

Sounds easy? Don’t let the simplicity fool you. If you think you’re fit I am pretty sure that the first 10 will make you cocky, but at around 25 you’re surprised how tough it is.
Try it Sassy Girl and let me know how you feel after.