Sunday, February 24, 2013

Few Minutes To Spare? Do This Move For Your Abs...


It’s Sunday night and I am sitting in front of a blank screen trying to figure out what I should blog about. Story of my life! I keep being distracted by the Oscars and can’t resist tweeting about what I am seeing. During one of my procrastination moments aka when Anne Hathaway gave her 17 hour acceptance speech, I got down on my area rug and did some ab work. I had a thought “Hey, why don’t you write about what you just did? It’s the perfect length to complete during a commercial break from your favorite show.” So that is exactly what this entry is about.
The best ab exercise for your body. The Plank. Working the core is not a fitness trend and you’d be crazy not to strengthen the large muscles in your torso, hips, and abdomen. You get better balance, stability, prevent low back pain, and a long strong body line.

How to do a proper Plank:

  1. Lie face down on a carpet or mat, arms folded close to your body, hands by your ears.
  2. Push up your body about 6 inches so only your toes and forearms touch the ground; your body rests like a plank between them.
  3. Keep your stomach pulled in, your butt tight, and your body straight, with your eyes looking at the floor. (Ignore those dust bunnies!)
  4. Hold as long as you can. (More than 1 minute? I’m impressed.)