Sunday, November 4, 2012

Stretch Me



My life is about fitness and sharing my knowledge of fitness with clients and friends. I'd like to think I inspire and have taught my hubs a thing or two about working out. When he came home from the gym one day and said "I stretched today before and after my workout and it made me feel good." I realized I have not taught him a thing.  But I think stretching is something most people put on the back burner when they workout. I see it time and time again there are people who just jump in cold, exercise as hard and as long as seems warranted, and then... screeech! ... come to a complete stop when they feel done. They then head straight for the shower, or more stinkily, back into their cars or jobs or lives, without doing any of that sissy in-between stuff that makes exercise take so much longer without really "counting" as exercise.
I know you may not have time in your schedule to devote to more time at the gym. Here is a way you can prep your body for exercise. I promise it will make your workout better.

If you can walk to the gym instead of driving, you can put together some awesome music and develop a fun routine just for warming up if you like your life to be all perky and sparkly.

Try to customize your stretching.  Focus on the parts that help with your tight areas, injuries, and imbalances, and that are compatible with your comfort level and the degree of silliness you're willing to display in public settings.

I know you've heard this one...Try Yoga! (I do not need to belabor this, as it is hard to go 5 minutes in life without someone urging you to do either yoga or pilates)

With just a little effort you can make your workouts feel better Sassy Girl!

Here are two moves you need to incorporate into your stretching program. If you do nothing else please add these two moves. Hold each stretch for 15-30 seconds 

1. Torso Twist
Sit on the floor, back straight, shoulders down, abs engaged, and legs extended in front of you. Bend your right knee to place foot flat on the floor. Wrap your left arm around your right leg and twist to your right side, supporting yourself by placing your right hand behind you. Breathe deeply and hold. Repeat on opposite side.

2.Childs Pose
Come to hands and knees with your hands shoulder-width apart, knees hip-width apart, abs engaged, and back flat (spine neutral). Keep your knees and ankles separated and your toes curled under as you shift your weight back over your heels, lengthening your spine, relaxing your head and neck, and reaching forward through your fingertips. Breathe deeply and hold.