Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hot or Not


The Hottest Fitness Instructors in NYC! 

This was the title of a recent blog post I read. It made me so mad because not only do I have to focus on whether my teaching is effective (which should be every instructors main concern) but now I have to worry if I'm "hot" as well? When did fitness become all about the "hotness" of your instructor? I didn't get into this business because I wanted to be rated on my beauty.

I'll be the first one to admit, I feel tremendous pressure to maintain a high level of fitness. I care about having abs of steel and feel anxious when I can't workout.
I've always cared about being in shape but I never worried about back fat or having a muffin top until I became a group fitness instructor.

And I think I have an answer to why fitness pros feel pressured:
When you teach you have to look the part. All eyes are on you and if you don't appear as dedicated to fitness and healthy living as the students they might leave and never come back. Yes, it’s shallow, but its a fact. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Esp if your in the fitness biz. I feel like I have this convo all the time with my co-workers.

So that brings up the question where does this pressure to look perfect come from?

Do we place it on ourselves? Does it stem from the images of physical perfection we see daily on Access Hollywood or on billboards? Do the people we train and motivate subtly require it of us? Or is it merely a by-product of living in a society that rewards more, better, faster, stronger?

I know my body isn’t perfect. I’ve eaten candy for dinner more than I would like to admit. However, my commitment to health and fitness came first. I became an instructor to share that passion with others in an accessible and safe way. I most certinately did not do it to be rated on my looks. A very famous person once said: "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou
Ain't that the truth and shouldn't that be the main concern for all instructors?