Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Working Out without "Working Out"

Happy Birthday To My Sassy Mother!
Today I am dedicating this blog post to the sassiest lady I know, my mom!

My mother and I don’t always see eye to eye when it comes to fitness. I love to spend time at the gym doing weight lifting and cardio, my mother….not so much.

To keep my both of my parents active I have come up with a few exercises that you can fit seamlessly into your everyday routine.  No gym clothing required.

The Flex Challenge. Can you flex your abs?  Engage your seat? Roll your shoulders back and keep them there? Challenge yourself to do this multiple times a day. For example, flex your abs everytime you check the mirror for food in your teeth. Or if you’re driving, flex your butt every time you hit a red light. Just find something you do all the time and go for it. Have fun!
 Brushing Teeth Squats. Ideally you should brush your teeth for 2 minutes so while doing that try to multitask. Do squats, lunges or calf raises.

 Washing Dishes Calf-Raises. This one is for you Mom. I know she hates washing the dishes just as much as the gym so it got me thinking why not kill two birds with one stone. Do calf raises while cleaning up after dinner.

 Boogie it up.. Want a fun way to start your day? Put on your favorite song and jam out while getting ready. Do your signature move while going back and forth from the bathroom to your bedroom. You are in the privacy of your own home so remember the funkier the better!

 One More Time. My goal is to do 150 consecutive pushups. I visulize me doing them effortlessly but in reality that isn’t happening right now. Everytime I hit the floor I add just one more to my set and before you know it I’ll be at 150. You can do it with anything fitness related too.

Cell phone flexibility. I actually did this one tonight while on the phone with the woman of the day. I realize that you don’t want to be out of breath because it would be weird. So why not do something really simple. Squats, lunges, wall-sits or just walking will do the job.
These are some simple ideas that can help you sneak in your exercise. Take care of your sassy self and your body will take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment