Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Don't Count Your Calories Before They're Hatched






I overheard two women talking before one of my fitness classes about how easy it is to burn 700 calories on the Ellptical machine at my gym. They were so happy that I didn’t want to rain on their parade. But it got me thinking that most people don’t know how accurate their machine is. All machines are not created equal. And all exercisers are not created the same. Does it take into account your height, weight, age? So how accurate are the calorie counters on the machines at the gym?


First, you should know about the count on the machine’s accuracy.  It is just an estimate and will NEVER be 100%. The machines have a computer that uses a general formula to estimate how many calories you burn and since the gyms want you to keep coming back and not be discouraged the machines will probably tell you that you burned ten to fifteen percent more calories then you actually did.  
They don’t take in to account your body fat, muscle mass or fitness level. (A person with high level of body fat will burn less than a person with a high level of muscle mass).  There are a lot of variables and that means a lot of wiggle room on the numbers.  Although the most accurate treadmills seem to come from the Sole company.  Their TT8 models are the sassiest!


           You shouldn’t use these numbers as an absolute but as a guideline to use from workout to workout. Instead track your heart rate or use the Perceived Level of Exertion chart listed below.

           For most sassy girls when working out you want to be at around Level 5-6. If you're doing interval training, you want your recovery to be around a 4-5 and your working intervals to be at around 8-9.  I do not recommend working at a level 10…well for obvious reasons.  


                Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating Phish Food

                Level 2: I'm feeling comfortable and sassy
                Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
                Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
                Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
                Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
                Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm glistening like a pig
                Level 8: My focus is on me and not our small talk. I can only keep up this pace for a short period of time.
                Level 9: I feel like I’m going to collapse
                Level 10: I’ve taken it too far and I’m dead

No comments:

Post a Comment