Sunday, October 11, 2015

Is Your Gym Worth The Price?


I often wonder about all the fitness clubs popping up around me. Of course I go and check them out. The worst fitness facility of all time is....drum roll please...Planet Fitness. It's seriously the worst! I'm not talking about the equipment, the cleanliness, or the staff. I'm referring to the amount of junk food Planet Fitness feeds its members.
I have worked out at Planet Fitness gym a handful of times so I'm speaking the truth when I write about the suck factor.


Let's start at the beginning of the week. Monday. Who doesn't think of pizza when you think about the gym? PF has Pizza Monday on the first Monday night of each month.
There are literally stacks of greasy pizza boxes as soon as you walk in the door and as a member one gets an endless buffet of free pizza. That seems like a bad marketing ploy to lure new people to the gym to me. 


It  gets better, on the first Tuesday morning, it’s bagels. Ummmm what? Not exactly fitness friendly food at the GYM! You might actually gain the wrong kind of weight at PF. 

To make matters worse, when you walk in there is jar full of tootsie rolls.


I can't just bash on PF without telling you some of the things I do like about the joint:


1. It's $10 a month
2. This "gym" is a “judgement-free zone,” so they appeal to the “novice” gym-goer.
3. It offers a friendly environment for newbies to learn the ropes of exercise without being judged by others who are in better shape.

Ok, that's it. I honestly tried to think of 4 reasons why I support the gym but I could only come up with 3. That's how weird the place is. I do think PF has a good idea but I do think it’s just being horribly executed. Leaving a jar full of tootsie rolls on the front counter and giving members an endless buffet of free pizza once a month is nothing more than a sleazy marketing ploy used to lure new people to the gym so that PF makes more money. What gym encourages their members to eat junk food? Basically, Planet Fitness is letting their unhealthy clients know that eating junk food is fine IF you are working out. Sounds dangerous to me to be sending that message. It’s obvious that they’re more concerned with profit than actually helping over-weight people get in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment