Sunday, October 4, 2015

Bingeing, It's Not Just For Netflix


Even though it is October and it seems like the year is winding down but that doesn't mean your goal setting has to wait until January. There is no rule that says you can't set a goal right now. In fact, setting a goal might help you stay on track during the upcoming holiday season. I'm a fan of setting a small but achievable goals every season. For example, my goal this fall is to get certified in a new fitness modality. I took the first step by registering for the certification. It may not seem like a big goal but it is attainable. A lot of people go about goal setting the wrong way. Instead of making short term intentions, most people Goal Binge. A lot of people make their goals as long as a Child's list to Santa. Goal setting is not a bucket list. Everything that you want to change about you should not be on your list. It should be statements of short term intentions. Like 1 or 2 things.  For example:  I will run 2 miles in the next 4 months or I will take a fitness class 3 times a week.  My question to is this, Has anyone experienced goal binging and what was the result?

This brings me to another point about goal setting. Be sure you aren't setting VAGUE GOALS. Our goals need to be measurable in some way. Saying "I want to lose 10 pounds" sounds good but there is nothing about that statement that lets you measure your progress. Instead make your goals more specific, like: "I will eat out 2 less times this week, I will workout 1 more time this week, I will make healthier choices the next week, I will keep a food and workout journal."
How does this relate to you? Any experience with this? You don't have to answer out loud. These are just questions to ask yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment