Thursday, April 12, 2012

Simple Ways To Stay Sassy


Killing an afternoon on the couch and watching a marathon of  trash tv can be more appealing than getting and staying fit. Then again there are a lot of things that can be more appealing then getting yourself to the gym, even for me sometimes.  That being said, there are a few things I know I'm good at and being a successful life long fitness buff is one of them. Here are a few tips on ways I've managed to make exercise my way of life. Maybe you'll find something that connects to you and if you already workout on a regular basis maybe you will find something that reinvigorates your commitment to fitness.

1. Be Consistent
No matter where I am I make sure that I carve out at least 30 min to use my thera-band, do body weight exercises or use the local facility. I know that I will enjoy my time wherever I am if I take the time to devote to my health. Consistency is his best tip for maintaining a successful fitness regimen. What makes one person’s success is doing a workout EVERYDAY. Nothing will work if you don't do it consistently.  

2. Three things you must do to make sure your routine is effective


a. Strength training. Try 20 minutes a day twice a week and your body will be so much better for it. You will age better, sleep better and look better!

b. Interval training its very effective and time efficient. Short bursts of high intensity followed by low intensity work to allow your body to recover so you can push hard during the next round. Example: Run at a moderate pace for two minutes, sprint for one minute then walk on a slight incline for two minutes...then repeat for 25-30 minutes.

c. Expand your cardio
Just 60 minutes a day of low to moderate physical activity like walking or dancing.


3. Be Realistic
Aiming for perfection is a concoction for disaster. No one is perfect so if that's your goal you'll never get there. A goal of making healthy choices is much more attainable. Maybe your goal is to do a workout everyday...even if it's just 15 minutes


4. Have a Sister in Arms
A great way to strengthen your relationships is to sweat together. I love working out with my friends. They encourage me to work harder and not to take the easy way out.

5. No financial investment needed
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't need a gym to get fit.
I have lots of clients that don't have a gym in their building so we workout wherever they have enough space for a mat, chair and 1 or 2 sets of hand weights.
Example of what you can do:
10-15 pushups
Plank/forearm plank 45 seconds
Tricep dips using edge of chair 15-20
Bridge hold for 45-60 seconds. Try lifting the hips high and from there lower and lift one inch. For more of a challenge pick one foot off the floor.
Swimmer 45-60 seconds. Lie on your front side and lift your legs and upperbody off the floor. You should feel as if you are balancing on your hip bones. Pull your belly in and use your inner thighs to lift your legs and relax your buttocks.
Squats 15 reps. Do 2-3 sets
Cat/Cow 30sec

These are just a few of my "secrets" that make fitness part of who I am. I hope that taking care of yourself through physical activity is something you will do to insure a sassy you!

No comments:

Post a Comment