Sunday, April 22, 2012

“The Best Cure For An Off Day Is a Day Off”



Rest days are so easy to do put there are so many that forgoe a day off of working out and push on through even the body is begging for a break.
Often students come up to me after class and ask about muscle soreness and feeling fatigued. Something they normally can do feels almost impossible. My first question is..."When was your last rest day?" Almost always they say "3 weeks ago, or I never take a day off from working out." This is very common. Most people feel like if they don't workout every single day they will "lose" fitness. When in fact it takes more than one day off a week to feel the loss of fitness and performance that occurs when you stop working out. It doesn't happen until you take off more than two weeks. It's not just me saying this years and years of research say the same thing.
When you overuse your muscles you are asking for a injury. Yes your body will adapt for a short time but over time your body will just stop. Taking a day off to let your body restore is better than weeks or months forced to take off because of a major injury that could have been avoided.When you take a recovery day off every seven to 10 days your body restocks glycogen stores, builds strength, and reduces fatigue.
For 5 or 6 days a week I work my sassy ass off and then on the 7th day I let my body just be. I rest, do some light stretching, get a massage. Just knowing a day off is coming I notice I push harder during my sessions. When my body is fatigued I can't work as efficientally and then my workout is not as powerful as it could be. Resting for a day enables me to be physically and mentally ready for my workouts in the coming week.
I understand that it can be hard to not put on your sneakers but remember LESS IS MORE.

Things to remember:
Rest one day a week to prevent overuse injuries and prevent mental burnout.
A rest day will help to improve your endurance and increase your blood volume.

A sassy girl always listens to her body. If you are feeling sluggish doing workouts that normally make you feel amazing then take a day or two off and then return to your activity. Taking care of your bod now will ensure you stay super sassy well into your Golden Years.