Friday, November 18, 2011

Tis The Season To Stay Sassy



The holidays are coming and with them a lot of pitfalls…a lot of over eating, over drinking and late nights. Avoiding them is hard to do but being aware is half the battle. I know I’m not alone, we've all done it.  I’m actually doing it now. I’m mindlessly getting into a jar of peanuts (they are lightly salted though) Maybe you are feeling tired and need a little sugar rush to get you going or maybe you are just bored. Once in awhile eating from boredom is fine but constantly eating without thinking can make your backside a little plump.
Out of Boredom
There is nothing to do so why not throw some food into your mouth to occupy the time? The problem is you can only eat for so long and sooner than later you will have to face the fact that the rest of the day awaits and you will have to fill the time with something constructive, or maybe not so constructive but with something other than eating. Blogging has been a great way for me to do something other than watching past episodes of Dancing With The Stars but if blogging isn’t your thing and you don’t know what you’d talk about (the story of my life) you could always read a book you’ve always wanted to read, volunteer, write to your Grandmother that would LOVE to get a hand written letter from you. Better yet, you could go try a new class at your gym, play the dance revolution video game, walk your pup. Just get moving and eating will be the last thing on your mind.
When everyone else is eating
You don’t have to do what everyone else is doing. My mother used to say this to me when I was constantly hounding her for a pair of expensive designer jeans when I was 12 “If everyone else was jumping off a bridge would you do it too?” Mom was right. Just because the peeps you are with are ordering dessert or digging into another bread basket doesn’t mean you have to as well. Check in with your hunger level. Do you still need to be eating just because everyone else is? Yes, your mother may be driving you nuts but that doesn’t mean you have to use your fork to tear into the food you are eating and shove it into your mouth to avoid conversation.
Because It's a Special Occasion
I’m from a small family. I have 11 members of my extended family. That’s it!  I married an Italian and that means I now have more family members than I can count. It can seem like every day is someone's birthday, anniversary, or shower. And those celebrations often involve cake, alcohol and food that is so calorie filled just thinking about it makes my jeans feel tighter. I have learned that just being there and showing my face is celebration enough. I don’t have to get into the cake line to participate in the party. No one is paying attention to you anyway so do what is right for you. Party it up with the non spiked punch bowl or turn your back to the food table. If it’s not in your eyesight you’ll be less likely to let the devil tempt you.
BOGO/Free FoodUmmm Free food is awesome but you should check your hunger level before you indulge in your local burger joint’s deal of Buy-One-Get-One. Just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean you need to indulge.
A sassy girl works hard all year to maintain her fitness but what’s the good of working so hard if you can’t enjoy the fruits of your labor. So enjoy the holiday season Sassy Girl you’ve earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment