Friday, July 15, 2011

My Toughest Client


The other day at the gym a member said to me, "My wife is fat. How do I get her to exercise?"
I was dumbfounded! I couldn’t speak. Well, obviously he’s a sweet, sweet man. They must have a healthy marriage.

It can be a stressful on a relationship when one person is into physical fitness and the other is not. I know this first hand. My hubbs is not into working out the way I am.  I’ve given it the ole college try too many times to count. I actually personally trained him. And he saw results fast. Awesome right? Well, you would think that toning up, losing fat and strengthen your heart would encourage him to continue working out. (Plus he lives with a personal trainer so he didn’t have to leave the living room.) Well, that lasted approximately 6 weeks. He refuses to work out with me now. It sucks when I can’t make him do what I want, but I will forever keep trying. If you too have a partner who is less than trilled to exercise here are some ways to gently guide them to the activity path:

                Use Sensitive Support: Maybe have a post dinner walk multiple times a week. It’s a great way to schedule time together and burn calories.
                Spice it up: I know from experience bouncing into the family room crying out loudly, “Let’s go to the gym and do some sprints on the treadmill!” doesn’t do the trick. Maybe gently suggesting doing something that they will like. Take a bike ride together, play a little basketball, or a game of catch. Make it about you two being together not exercise.
                Honesty is the best policy: Instead of throwing a sissy fit that your partner is not listening to you, talk to them. Let him/her know why you want them to workout. Like living a long healthy life together. You never know it just may work.
                Recruit them: My hubby sometimes does what I want when I make him think it’s his idea. If I want to workout outdoors I suggest he come with me because there is safety in numbers. If you do this though make sure not to be lazy you have to really workout like you mean it. Let your partner know you need his/her help to get them up and moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment