Sunday, May 1, 2016

Meal Replacement vs Whole Food



My life is busy and sometimes I can get lazy so when it comes to nutrition a meal replacement is the easiest answer. I know they are effective weight loss tools because you can just grab and go! I got into the bars because they are designed to be nutritionally complete – replacing all meals; or only partially complete, replacing one or two meals in a day. And they taste delightful. I looked forward to having a bar every few hours.  I was basically eating a candy bar. These bars were ladened with sugar.  No wonder I liked them so much. My underlying habits around eating and taste remained the same. I wasn’t learning to change my lifestyle and my eating habits. And many meal replacements do not attempt to alter our desire for the sweet stuff. I understand why companies make bars that are tasty. We as a whole want sweet and ooey gooey yumminess. So when you are ‘dieting’ by consuming less food you feel like a ‘treat’ is on the menu. It feels good to eat a “health bar.”
When I started eating whole, delicious, nutrient dense foods everything changed.  When you eat low glycemic, high fiber fruits and non-starchy vegetables weight loss will happen. Eating plant based foods are so good for your health and well being. I cut the sugar (mainly the bars) and replaced them with fruit and whole veggies and I found out I could eat MORE and still lose weight.
The take away from this post is: when it comes to what you put in your mouth, just eat real food.


No comments:

Post a Comment