Sunday, April 24, 2016

Do you eat Whole Grains?



Whole Grains are amazing for your health but when you go shopping EVERYTHING is labeled “whole.” It’s deceiving of the manufacturer to label the package you are buying as “whole” because not everyone knows that all whole grains are not created equal. I’m very bothered by this dishonest tactic so I thought I’d break it down for you in this post.
Try to eat wheat bread, brown rice, barley, oats and soba noodles. These are good for you grains and you should aim for 3-4 servings of them.  These grains are good for you because, when the whole grain is left intact, you get more fiber and more micro nutrients that help protect against disease. My favorite is barley and oatmeal but I like all of the grains listed above. They are rich in bran -- the outer layer of the grain seed -- are good grain choices, too. Bran is rich in fiber, B vitamins, and antioxidants.
White foods or anything with refined flour, like white bread, typically contains less fiber. When shopping for whole grain foods, look for terms such as "100% whole grain" or "100% whole oats," like I mentioned before manufacturers sometimes print "whole grain" on products containing only a very small amounts of whole grains.
Whole grains are awesome because they lower your risk of heart disease, keep tight control over your blood sugar levels, and whole grains can also help you lose weight! Yep, whole grains help you to feel full because of the fiber and encourage you not to overeat. Plus whole grains help keep you regular.
Here are some simple ways to add more whole grains into your diet:
  • Eat whole-grain breakfast cereals, such as bran flakes, shredded wheat, or oatmeal.
  • Cook soup and chili with barley.
  • Serve brown rice, soba noodles, or bulgur side dishes instead of pasta or white rice.



I eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday because I love it and I know it’s good for me. Do you have any favorites I must try? I want to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment