Sunday, January 12, 2014

Paleo It Again, Sam


The Paleo Diet.
I’m sure you’ve heard of the new diet trend. It seems it’s all over social media these days. Eat like a caveman and shed pounds. No calorie counting is the theory behind the Paleo Diet. It promises that you’ll be leaner and less likely to get cancer, diabetes and other health issues.  Why? Well, you are eating fiber-rich foods like fruits and vegetables. In reality this “new” diet isn’t new at all. It’s basically a high-protein, high-fiber eating plan. It brings up some of questions. So, I’m gonna do my best to answer some questions I hear.
This diet is great because it calls for one eat a lot of fresh lean meats and fish, fruits, eggs, nuts, olive oil and vegetables.
What I love about this eating plan is you can't eat any processed foods on this diet! You also aren’t eating refined sugar, canola oil or salt. That means you can kiss the prepackaged foods from Walmart goodbye.
Since I’m not much of a cook the idea of cooking things from scratch doesn’t pull me in but the fact that eating processed foods are a no-no, I like. I also really like the fact that I don’t have to go to an In-person meeting. I don’t time in my schedule to attend a group meeting about my diet. I like how you can do this eating plan on your own but if you need to connect to other Paleo followers you can find forums online.
Also, you should know that eating like this (AKA not meals on sale out of a box) may raise your grocery bill. BUT taking care of yourself is a heck of alot cheaper than prescription meds, heart disease or cancer.