Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Getting To The Gym Together


Before I taught this morning a student started talking to me and said, “I need your tips on how to get my boyfriend to come to the gym with me.  He thinks he still has his college body, but, well… he doesn’t.”
Of course we laughed, but I totally get what she’s saying. My hubs does workout just not with me. He prefers to go at it alone. I think in the 12 years we’ve been together we’ve worked out a total of 6 times together.
I started to think about her question in a little more detail during the bus ride home from class. What can I try to get my hubby to workout with me? What can I do to answer her question. So the test begins...
Here are a couple of ideas I came up with to try to motivate your significant other, friend or family member to workout with you:

  • Make it a social experience… Go on a jog outside together, spot each other in the weight room, etc.
  • Take a group exercise class like spinning, bootcamp or a weight lifting class. (Nothing too Girlie. Zumba is a definite “NO!”)
  • Do the workout where they’re comfortable, whether it be outside, in the gym or at home
  • Start with an exercise they’re comfortable with (Some people hate cardio while others are really intimidated by weights)
  • In return for working out with you, offer to do something they’re interested in. Get creative. (Yes it can be in the bedroom but of course it doesn’t have to be.)