Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Sassy Girl Makes Her Move






It has been hard living 1,400 miles away from my family, and my husband’s family is only about a two and a half hour drive away, but still far enough to not feel like I have roots.  So over my 14 years  in NYC, I’ve worked hard to develop my own family.   Of course my husband Kevin is my family, my rock and fills many other roles that contribute to my happiness.   But you have to look outside of those relationships to find fulfillment too… work, girlfriends, others who share the same hobbies, etc.
About 10 years ago I found a fitness studio on the Upper West Side where I began teaching and quickly I found my gym family.  I bonded with staff, other trainers and especially the scores of students who began regularly taking my classes.
Over the years I have seen many of them reach milestones in and out of the gym.  I have grown to love many of them and count a handful as some of my closest friends and confidants.  
For those unfamiliar with what I do, it is a crazy, whirlwind world of teaching classes for several gyms, teaching unique fitness classes, training individual clients, learning new material and practicing, all while cultivating your classes to grow and make differences in people’s lives everyday.  No small feat.
Sure it’s a job but teaching and working with these people has become more then just aerobics.  That is what makes this week so hard.  After all this time I have decided it’s time to leave my comfort zone of the neighborhood gym. Next week will be my last week teaching at the Body Strength the gym that is only a few blocks from my home.
Above all, the hardest part about me leaving the gym is saying goodbye to my classes and my fellow instructors. Why?  Sure we workout together and have fun, but we  also hold each other accountable, push each other to achieve more, congratulate each other on our successes and mentor each other when we’re struggling. It’s unconditional love… it’s family, man.  (and I’m getting emotional… again!)
The decision to move on was a hard one and one that I have thinking about for a long time.  As much as I will miss the people at Body Strength I am comforted knowing that they will always be a few blocks away and I can always drop in for a workout if the spirit moves me.  
I am off.  Sassier pastures await.


P.s.  Pictures are coming of my last few classes at my gym!!  Stay tuned…