Sunday, July 1, 2012

No Pain, No Gain



My Mother use to have a magnet on our fridge when I was growing up that said NO PAIN, NO GAIN. I remember being scared of that saying. Well to be honest I'm still turned off by that line. I just don't believe you have to be in pain (discomfort yes, but pain NO) to get yourself in shape. Time and time again I find myself explaining to my clients that they need not suffer in the name of fitness.  If you are exercising properly SOME discomfort and muscle soreness is normal because your body is recovering.  Sharp shooting pain is not good, it means you are doing something wrong. I advise not to push through the sharp pain. Check out what else in your life may be going on. Are you getting enough rest between workouts, are you using proper form during exercise?  Maybe you are just not taking enough time before and after your workout to stretch properly.  In my opinion its always a wise idea to ask a personal trainer to assess your workout. After all being fit and pain free is super sassy!