Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Sassy Girl Sails The Sea



The genius behind the cruise industry is that they have created a vacation where you can eat like a pig, drink like a pig lay soak up the sun like a walrus on a log and still manage to feel thin.

It appears that overeating is really the reason people go on cruises. At meal after meal on our cruise ship, it looked as if I had missed the announcement that those who didn't eat their weight in appetizers would have to walk the plank.
Seriously, you can eat as much as you want and you can eat 24 hours a day. Here's the skinny:
There are three main meals on the cruise ship, and each is offered in either a serve yourself cafeteria setting or in a sit down dining room. The food's basically the same if not identical each day at the buffets. There is a plethora of fried things, pizza, ice cream and different kinds of meat on a stick and only one small tiny salad bar. Only serving iceburg lettuce. Heaven forbid the cruise ship waste any precious space in the cafeteria with an arrangement of foods that might actually be good for you. It was hard to eat healthy but somehow I managed to make decent choices. My husband didn’t do so well. He ate and ate. I think the man ordered at least 3 appetizers and 2 entrees for dinner EVERY night. He didn’t workout once, ate like an animal and is still the Italian Stallion I married almost 2 years ago.

Ok so if you constantly eat the gym is probably busy right? WRONG! Day 2 the gym had a fair amount of people getting their sweat on but by day 6 I was the ONLY person in the gym for the 60 minutes I was there. It was nice to have the place to myself but honestly I was a little annoyed that out of 2,000 people I was the only person to burn off some of the calories from dinner the night before. The only time I saw people on the jogging track was when the line to the buffet was backed up.
My gym attempt was lame and here is why. I fell off the treadmill twice! I struggled with my balance and the rocking of the boat was not my best friend. I had to hold onto the equipment to brace myself. It wasn’t my best but at least I was trying.  It was so bad that as I was riding the elevator down from the gym to my cabin a man in a wheel chair asked me if I was ok. Really? I look that bad that a pork chop on a Rascal wants to help me. Geesh! Did that stop me? Of course not, the very next day I got up and tried again only to stumble again on the treadmill. This time I found a machine that didn’t face the sea but faced a wall. I figured that would help and it did a bit. I still had trouble but did a heck of a lot better than the day before.

In the end I had a wonderful time with my hubby and even though the odds weren’t in my favor I think I still managed to stay sassy.


No comments:

Post a Comment