Sunday, September 18, 2011

Take Five

Five minutes? You want me to just sit there and clear my mind for just five minutes? No problem! I can do that. Well, it may not seem like a heck of a lot of time but let me tell you just letting my mind be blank lasted about oh, 30 seconds before random thoughts invaded my mind. Shoot, I forgot to pick up my dry cleaning, what time am I going to take a fitness class today, do the cats have fresh water...etc. For weeks things continued like this and I even skipped out a few times but after awhile those five minutes turned out to be that one thing that will turn my day around.
I’m always busy and running from one appointment to the other but I know if I just take a few minutes to focus on lowering my stress I find myself with a little extra sass to get me through the day. Here are some ideas for you to try out too.
1. Do as your Mother said and Make Your Bed . Don’t you just love coming home to a clean and neat bed? It’s such a nice thing to be able to get into bed at night without having to figure out where the top of the blanket is located. Doing it first will set the tone for the day.  I also find that doing menial tasks that really take no physical or mental effort can become a moment of Zen.
2. Grab A Sassy Snack. Remember when you were young and after you got home from school you grabbed a snack? Just because you aren’t a school child anymore doesn’t mean your body doesn’t want a little fuel during the day. Don’t leave home without a piece of fruit, low fat cheese or unsalted nuts in case hunger strikes. You won’t be temped to grab a Twix from the vending machine if you have options.
4. Jam Out.  Listening to your favorite music always boosts your mood but did you know that music can help lower your blood pressure too. Turn on the tunes but be sure to keep the volume at a reasonable level. Just because you love Lady Gaga doesn’t mean everyone else does too. Putting together a fun and exciting playlist will help you during your workouts too! I’ve put together a playlist on a previous blog if you need a little inspiration.
5. Lovely Lavender. Love the smell of lavender? You are in luck! Just a quick sniff of the stuff helps to lower stress. If you don’t particularly like the smell of lavender try basil, juniper or lemons. They will do the trick too!
6. Stretch. Everyone can do this one. Even if you think you are the least flexible person on the planet. Lift your arms above your head at your desk. Or get your body moving by going out for a brisk walk. Stress can be relieved with some stretching or light exercise. Improved circulation and flexibility can do wonders for the quality of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment