Thursday, May 21, 2015

Barre Queen



One of my good fitness friends refers to me as the “Barre Queen.” I must admit, I like the name. It’s fun and it’s true. Yes, I do teach Barre but I also love taking a challenging barre class. Why? Simple. It’s hard but it works. I love how strong my legs are and how I can do things with my body I didn’t think were possible. So what’s all the fuss? What do I love about barre?

To the outsider It may not look like much but my thighs burn like no other just moving up an inch and down an inch. It’s full-body conditioning. Barre is not a sweaty cardio workout, but that’s okay. It's such a nice complement to cross-training. You spend a half hour on legs, then the second half of the class working with light weights for upper body exercises (much harder than it looks) and abs. It's not uncommon to push yourself more in barre class. If you give 110% you leave feeling fatigued. It's low impact and easy on  the joints and doesn't require crazy coordination or flexibility. The best part? There is no competition, and it’s easy to hide (or at least not feel stupid) if you’re not sure you’re doing a move quite right, since most of the movements are so tiny.

Okay, that’s not to say there aren’t some drawbacks to barre, like the price (typically between $30-37 per class.

Have you tried barre class? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment