Sunday, April 5, 2015

A healthy lifestyle


There are a few things I do a lot that I get "heat" for. I too am concerned with the side effects of what I eat to just eat anything. I don't want to gain weight either! Here are a few things I do that aren't that weird but keep me in check especially when it comes to snacking.

I say "no" to fat-free products.
Fat (something we like that tastes really good) goes out and sugar (another thing we like that tastes really good) goes in. Why? Because manufacturers are selling you on the fact that the product is fat-free -- not sugar-free. Huge culprits include fat-free salad dressing (honey or high fructose corn syrup often coming in as the second or third ingredients), fat-free cookies or cakes (angel-food cake for example has a devilish 20 grams or more of sugar per slice) my favorite smart sweet treat is from, Alternative Baking Company, Colossal Chocolate Chip Cookie. They are delicious, vegan, dairy free and no hydrogenated oils ever. Also stay away from fat-free puddings, muffins and reduced-fat peanut butter. Read the ingredient list BEFORE purchasing. The first few ingredients should not include sugar. Keep your salad dressings and peanut butter the full-fat variety. You will be more satisfied and won't need to eat 20 fat free cookies to be.

Go to bed and get some sleep
I'm anal about this one. I make sure I get 8 hours each night. Most people also are less equipped to resist a high-calorie treat (candy comes to mind) if we are sleepy throughout the day. When you are tired it is more difficult to say no to the candy bar. Bottom line, while diet and exercise have a lot to do with staying away from the sweets, neither of them will be as effective if you're not getting enough ZZZ's.

Keep snacks close by.
When I'm hungry, I want food immediately. One tactic that's worked for me is to keep healthy snacks on hand. That way I don't end up at a convenience store loading up on junk without even realizing it. My impulses are reduced though, when I keep trail mix in my bag. I can easily grab it and have a few satisfying bites of peanuts, raisins and whole-grain pretzels. Just this simple action is satisfying. Figure out what your trigger is and have something on hand to distract yourself. It could be an apple in your purse, a bag of healthy popcorn in your pantry or a string-cheese stick in your office refrigerator.

I always chew gum.
I find that chewing gym in the afternoon reduces my cravings for sweet snacks.

These are some simple tricks I do everyday. Do you too? Is there something awesome you do that I should know about? Send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment