Friday, June 6, 2014

Does A Dog Belong In A Fitness Class That Is Not Geared For Dogs?


I personally love all the weird little idiosyncrasies that people have....and we all have them. If I do something stupid or funny at the gym and people laugh at me, I'd probably laugh right along with them. The only time I get judgy about what other people do is when they are being mean or inconsiderate to others. I actually admire the people who are so into their workout that they just don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks or if they make a funny face or a weird noise. I wish I could be less self conscious and more like them. But I think it's ok to talk about the funny things that people do, because we all do them. Which leads me to today's post.
This past weekend I was teaching a private session at an upscale studio in NYC. About 5 minutes before our appointment start time in walks my scheduled client, a woman and her dog. I was shocked! Who brings a dog to a fitness class? Don't misunderstand me, I LOVE animals! It's no secret that partnering with a reliable workout buddy can be a great way to keep yourself motivated and dedicated to your fitness routine. And your own dog may just be the most loyal and eager fitness pal you'll ever find. But this was weird. She was polite and asked the owner of the studio if it was ok. The owner's face was priceless. I don't think she has ever ran into that "problem," so not knowing what to say, she said "yes." She then tried to babysit the pooch while I trained the woman. Needless to say we only had a 40 minute session. She used her pup as a reason she couldn't workout for an hour. She pulled that line before we even started!
For obvious reasons I would not bring my pet to a private session unless the fitness class is specifically designed for the student and Fido to attend together. I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment