Saturday, April 26, 2014

Music That Moves A Sassy Girl



How important is your workout music to you? I can only speak for myself when I say that I obsessively pick songs with the appropriate beats per minute to keep up the pace I want to maintain for each class I teach. I use something called BeaTunes that scans my entire iTunes library and assign a beats per minute to each song. I also use Spotify and that means I spend countless hours taping an app on my iPhone to find the BPM of each song.  
I have been in classes before where the music has mentally taken me right out of the class and for that reason I try to put a some thought into my playlists. Some teachers are so good that they could play Josh Groban in a High Energy kickboxing class and get away with it but for the rest of us music has the potential to make or break a class. Music can inspire your body to move and make your workouts more powerful.
Here is a kickass playlist I used just this week. There is a slow-boiling track by Metric. It's brilliant, but I thought it might be too slow. And Booty Luv have a textbook UK dance hit--in the best sense. But, there's also a load of angsty, rock that I don’t normally play. Nevertheless, I got awesome feedback from my students and here are the tracks they loved working out to:

129 BPM – Kylie Minogue - Into the Blue (Patrick Hagenaar Colour Code Remix)
115 BPM- Foster the People- Best Friend
143 BPM – Forever the Sickest Kids – Whoa Oh! (Me vs. Everyone)
126 BPM – Wisin, Jennifer Lopez & Ricky Martin - Adrenalina
128 BPM – Chris Lake & Nastala – If You Knew (Feed Me Remix)
131 BPM – Hyper Crush – Keep Up
129 BPM – Metallica – Cyanide
148 BPM – Basshunter – Now You’re Gone
152 BPM – Trapt – Contagious
127 BPM – Booty Luv – Say It

No comments:

Post a Comment