Saturday, March 15, 2014

Time Out


Recently I started feeling knee soreness after intense workouts. I went to a physical therapist that I trust to find out what is going on. Honestly, I am a little freaked out. It’s annoying and frustrating because it started hurting when I’m feeling progress with my workouts or close to a goal.
I started taking a bunch of different kinds of fitness classes. From pilates, barre to HITT workouts. Going into the training, I knew my body was sore but I was so excited I just pushed through.  After about 1 month of training, my knees, back and elbow joints were sore, not severe, but it hurt to get out of bed and I knew working out would not be an option.  So, I took a rest day, iced it, took Aleeve, and put heat on it, emailed my PT and made an appointment to get seen pronto. Then I decided I had to workout, but I’d focus on my upper body, just working with my body weight and resistance bands.  I added standing ab work once I felt better. I continued to use ice, and performed my PT exercises daily.  I also used the foam roller (this is a must for any injury.  It helps work out the kinks and massages the muscle.  I swear it helped me heal faster).
This week, my body feels better but I know better than to think it’s all set and ready to go.  I’m back to 
my workouts but I’m doing the workouts with no weights.  This has been awesome for me.  It’s helped me really concentrate and focus on my form, while I’m still sweating up a storm.  When dealing with any type of  injury, listening to your body and modify your exercising is key to healing faster.  So what if you can’t lift as much as you did, as long as you keep moving your body you will get to the goals you want. It just takes patience, which I have none of, but I’m learning it’s better to nurse the injury than constantly be in pain.