Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Love To Hate

I have a love/hate relationship with Burpees exercises. It seems like everytime I go take a fitness class the instructor wants me to do them. I always internally groan but they are very effective. Few movements hit as many muscle groups and deliver as intense a cardiovascular workout. After performing 10, no matter how fresh you are, you will be breathing heavily. After performing 75 consecutively, you’ll be on the floor for 5 minutes like a boxer down for the count. Well, that’s is what I feel like but I know a few peeps who can do hundreds in minutes.
Burpees basically combine a squat, pushup, and vertical leap. Think about the amount of mass (your entire body weight) you move over a large distance (your full height plus the height of your vertical leap) and you’ll understand just how many calories you can quickly burn with this exercise.