Sunday, October 13, 2013

Do You Juice?



What is the absolute worst tasting drink you have ever tasted? Was it yak milk, an alcoholic drink, or anything liquid that was served as a beverage? I just tasted the worst juice ever. Just the other day I spent $7 on a juice drink from a well known juice company that tasted so unpleasant that knowing how to shut down my taste buds would have come in handy.
For some reason I got it into my head that I needed to get a juice after my workout that contained carrots, cucumber, lemon, apple and ginger. What possessed me to order this drink? It sounds terrible just typing the ingredients. Now, it’s important to know I like all of these things individually but put together...YUCK! I forced myself to drink at least half of this juice blend because I spent $7. So did my search for a tasty and healthy juice drink come to a halt after my experience? Nope.This experience got me to thinking. How should you choose what to drink? Since most of your options are terrible looking and sometimes tasting. Here's the 3 best drinks to have post workout or whenever you need a little pick me up:

1. Root Around
If you are looking for a drink that is High-fiber. I recommend using root veggies and fruit keep things moving through the digestive tract, while ginger calms your stomach.
Ingredients: Ginger, beet, carrots, apple
Calories: 155
2. Berry Good
Looking for something sweet? Antioxidants in berries boast potent anti-aging benefits.
Ingredients: Blueberries, strawberries, mango
Calories: 151
3. The Popeye
This green goodie sneaks in a dose of iron (you need extra during your period and pregnancy), key for healthy blood cell and muscle function. It also delivers more than your daily rec of vitamin K—another must for blood and bone health.
Ingredients: Kale, green grapes, cucumber, Granny Smith apple
Calories: 110
All of these recipes can be made in your blender—so no specialty equipment is needed. Because of the fiber in fresh fruit and vegetable purées, these concoctions vary in thickness: You can adjust to your taste preference simply by adding a little water. And no matter which juice you choose, you’ll get good-for-you benefits in every sip.