Monday, June 18, 2012

Dear Sassy Girl







I have to admit I’m pretty impressed by the questions that are coming in. I love that you are asking questions about fitness. I’m happy to answer any fitness related question. Keep them coming! You can ask them via email thesassygirlblog@gmail.com or tweet me @sassygirlfit

I can only work out 1x a week. Is that a waste of time?

Salma,  Ithaca, NY

A little bit of exercise is better than nothing! You won’t notice physical changes as fast when it comes to weight loss or muscle building, but besides being good for your health your mind will benefit too! If you are going to exercise only once a week you have to make sure your fitness program is well balanced. An example would be 30 minutes of weight training followed by 30 minutes of cardio.



Should I workout during my period?

Terri,  St. Louis, MO

Ladies the answer is YES! You might even “perform” better and working out helps improve blood circulation which means little or no cramps!  


Is it true that weight training will give me short muscles and yoga will make my muscles longer?

Jenna, Blair, NE


The truth? The type of physical activity doesn’t determine the length of your muscles.  Muscle length is 100 percent genetically determined. It is impossible for the bones that are attached to the muscles to shrink. If you are feeling like your muscles are short it most often is muscle stiffness that is caused by not having enough exercise variation or not stretching enough.

Oh, this was in the NY Post a few weeks ago. Here is a link to the article:   http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/health/fir_to_be_tired_OagvxkIKhOcuuCP3o9xrPI