Saturday, June 9, 2018

Your barre questions answered!



About 10 years ago I was teaching aerobics and sculpting when I heard about barre classes. I was intrigued so I went to Physique 57 in NYC to try it out. It was so hard and I remember looking at myself in the mirror during this "torture" class, I thought "never again!" Flash forward to 10 years later and not only do I love the burn, I teach barre full time.  The exercises are a mix of cardio and strength training, just what I was looking for 10 years ago. After class I always feel accomplished and motivated again, like I had finally found an exercise method that worked for me!

Ever since I became a barre regular, I've been getting quite a few questions and inquiries about it from people who have heard about it but want to know more. These are the questions I get asked the most:

1. What is it?
Barre is a full body workout that focuses on proper form, alignment, and posture while increasing strength, muscle tone and stamina. The ballet barre is used as a stability device allowing you to get deeper into the exercises. Props such as hand weights, bands, and balls also help take the movements to the next level--when you feel your muscles start to shake, you're doing it right.

2. Is it for women only?
No! Although the classes are mostly made up of women anyway. I'd say it's 98% women from what I've experienced. Sometimes women bring their significant others. It's never a big deal though! Anyone is welcome. :)

3. Do you even sweat?
YES. If you really give it your all, sometimes you can even be so sweaty you end up dripping on the mat (which is why they clean it in between each class). I always need a shower after barre, so if lack of intensity is your concern--you have nothing to worry about.

4. What's the actual barre for?
Lots of things! For some strength exercises, the barre is used as a prop to balance while doing exercises that focus on holding your body still while you contract a specific set of muscles combined with high reps of small range-of-motion movements. Your thighs will feel like they're on FIRE. In a good way. The barre can also be used with resistance bands/tubes for core, arms, and seat (AKA your butt) exercises. It's awesome!

5. I've never done it before; what if I embarrass myself?
Trust me, no one will be paying attention to you because everyone is ~in the zone~ and trying to focus on getting the movements right. Plus, the people aren't the type to judge anyway! No one is perfect. If you do need help, the instructor is more than happy to personally show you what to do. I still need assistance sometimes!

♥ ♥ ♥

If you want to try barre or even if you have, I invite you to take class with me (if you live in NYC). If you have any other questions about barre, or any other type of fitness class, don't hesitate to message me; I'd love to hear from you!

In health,






No comments:

Post a Comment