Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Barre? I'm Scared and Have Questions!


I try to talk to my students before class and get a feel for where they are mentally and physically each day.  When speaking to new students before my barre class or if I’m talking to a student about my barre classes I get a lot of the same questions. I thought I would share the questions I get and my answers with you.

I have never done ballet or barre before. Will I be out of place in a class?
All barre workouts are designed to develop dancer-like bodies without having years of technical training. It is my responsibility as an instructor ensure that every student is comfortable with the technique and is working at a safe and effective level through hands-on corrections, verbal cues and demonstration.
What is the best attire?
Leave your tutus at home! To get the most from your barre class it is best to wear workout clothing, (as an instructor I can tell you that it is easier for me to correct your form when you are wearing form fitting clothing) a comfortable top that covers your midriff, and socks or barefeet.
What makes Barre class special and different from other types of workouts? (Yoga, Pilates, Gym)
There is good reason for the rapid growth and popularity of the barre technique. Although there are elements of yoga and pilates, barre is a workout like none other. With little or no equipment involved, it will change your body in only a few classes creating definition in your arms, a lifted seat, and lean thighs. No need to spend hours at the gym….60 minutes in a barre class and you will have addressed every muscle group and feel worked!
What body parts can I expect to see a difference in? What will the effect on my body and health be?
After taking just a few barre classes, most people notice that they feel taller and more toned. The barre technique focuses on strengthening the core, enhancing posture and proper alignment, while sculpting those hard to get areas like the abs, seat, and thighs.
How often should I take class?
A great start would be 2-3 times a week. But to get the most out of your barre workout, you will want to increase your workouts to 3-4 times a week. Class choreography is constantly being updated to avoid muscle adaptation so that each class remains fresh and you are always being challenged.
Barre workouts are an effective and efficient way to get a long lean look.

No comments:

Post a Comment