Sunday, May 18, 2014

How Rude!



When I am teaching a fitness class its pretty rare to have a student being outright rude to me as the teacher. Most people know that upsetting the instructor means that the penalty for such behavior will mean a harder class. Consequences can be severe that most students don't even think about trying it! Plus, most people are so respectful that behaving rudely isn’t even a thought. Occasionally I’ll have a student in class that makes my blood boil. Their everyday manner is nasty and their behavior is something my husband's mother would be ashamed of. When that happens in my class there is only so much I can do. I don’t believe everyone should be “punished” for one persons obnoxious remark but I also don’t believe in taking the lip I’m given. Just the other day I was teaching for FREE at an event that promoted a studio I work for and one woman kept acting high and mighty the entire class. She wouldn't do what I asked and when I spoke to her (privately) and asked if she wanted a modification or something else entirely she acted like I asked if I could punch her. Later during class she informed me that she knew more about the body than I. Loudly! That may be true but she had a terrible timing and a nasty way of telling me! She was so upsetting that I couldn’t figure out if she was trying to impress the other students, me or what was possessing her to behave like she was. More importantly, who cares? I should have kicked her out. It would have saved me the headache and the grief she has given me. But that’s not my game and I’m not a teacher that does such a thing. Though I am working on it.
I guess that’s the point of this post. Think before you act please.  Yes, taking a fitness class can be fun but there is no need to be a negative Nancy. No one likes that one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment