Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Goal Setting Sassy Style



I’m not sure what happened yesterday afternoon. I didn’t properly plan and when I got hungry mid afternoon what started out as an innocent meal turned into a caloric catastrophe. I know I’m not alone. Just because you are in tip top shape doesn’t mean you are immune to gaining weight. To help stay on track try constantly keeping your focus of motivation fresh. Whether it is your brother’s wedding, a class reunion, or a vacation that keeps you in check always having a reminder of what you are working towards can keep you returning to fitness.
If your goal is to lose weight, ask yourself why you want to lose weight. Is it to fit into those jeans that have been in your closet for years? It is to have more energy for your family?
Once you have defined your goal, write it down. I’ll say it again, write it down! It formalizes it and makes it more difficult to just wave away in your mind. Now put that written goal in a place you will always see it. Maybe your bathroom mirror, on your desk at work, in your purse. Find a picture that will help you stay on track. If your goal is to fit into your skinny jeans go and grab them and put them in a place where you can see them all the time.
Here are some ways to make sure you are setting your goals wisely:
Specific. Is your goal specific? You won’t be able to accomplish a goal that is too vague. For example, “lose some weight” or “walk a lot” are not specific goals. GOAL: I will lose 10 pounds.
Measurable. Can your goal be measured or defined? Walking a lot cannot be measured. What is a lot? That depends on whom you ask. Can we measure losing 10 pounds? You bet. Take your current weight when you set your goal and subtract 10 pounds. GOAL: I will lose 10 pounds and reduce my weight from 150 pounds to 140 pounds.
Attainable. Can you achieve this goal? Is it something you have can control over? You may not be able to lose 10 pounds if you have a surgery coming up next week that will keep you off your feet for the next 6 weeks. Let’s assume that you do not have any upcoming surgeries and it is reasonable to think that you can lose 10 pounds. GOAL: I will lose 10 pounds and reduce my weight from 150 pound to 140 pounds.
Realistic? Is this a goal that you can and want to accomplish? It is okay to set a goal that is difficult and will challenge you. However, you do not want to set a goal that you cannot achieve. Let’s assume that losing 10 pounds is something you feel that you can accomplish. GOAL: I will lose 10 pounds and reduce my weight from 150 pound to 140 pounds.
Timely. A goal should have a time frame. By when do you want to lose 10 pounds? If you don’t set a time limit, you’ll never get around to losing the 10 pounds because there won’t be a sense of urgency. GOAL: I will lose 10 pounds and reduce my weight from 150 pound to 140 pounds in 16 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment